If you frequently travel for business or for leisure and often find yourself transacting in US Dollar then you might want to consider having a credit card that has a dual currency feature. There are only a few dual-currency credit cards in the Philippines and will list them all in this post to help you choose the right card for you.
Note: This post is best viewed on your desktop or laptop.
What is a Dual-Currency Credit Card?
A dual-currency credit card is a card that lets you pay charges, advances, or amounts in currencies other than Philippine Peso into US Dollar (USD). Transaction charges are usually converted using the conversion rate set by the credit card (e.g. Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, etc).
Please note that it is subject to applicable fees such as service fees, etc (will vary from bank to bank).
Who is this for?
If you frequently fly to countries and territories that use US Dollars (USA, Cambodia, etc) and if you are also earning US Dollars even when you are residing in the Philippines then this is a great card for you.
If you don’t often fly to countries that have US Dollar as their official currency but often find yourself purchasing items at Duty-Free shops whenever you’re at the airport, then a dual-currency credit card could also complement your main travel credit card.
What are the available Dual-Currency Credit Cards in the Philippines?
|Credit Card||Gross Annual Income Requirement||First Year Annual Fee||Annual Fee||Monthy Interest||Foreign Exchange Transaction|
|Bank of Commerce Platinum Mastercard||P1,200,000||Pls confirm with Bank of Commerce||P5000||2% (Regular)|
2% (Priority Access Clients)
|2.5% (consists of Mastercard’s assessment fee and Bank of Commerce Service Fee)|
|Bank of Commerce Platinum Mastercard||Pls confirm with Bank of Commerce||Pls confirm with Bank of Commerce||P6,000||2%||2.5% (consists of Mastercard’s assessment fee and Bank of Commerce Service Fee)|
|Security Bank Platinum Mastercard||P780,000||Waived||P4,000||2%||2.5% (1% Mastercard Assessment Fee and 1.5% Service Fee)|
|Equicom Classic Credit Card||Pls confirm with Equicom||Pls confirm with Equicom||P1,000||2% Peso|
|Processing/service fee of 2%|
|Equicom Gold Credit Card||Pls confirm with Equicom||Pls confirm with Equicom||P2,000||2% Peso|
|Processing/service fee of 2%|
|PNB Platinum Mastercard||Pls confirm with PNB||Pls confirm with PNB||P3,000||2% Peso|
|2.5% of the converted amount using Mastercard/ Visa/UnionPay’s conversion rate of the day|
|BDO Titanium Mastercard||Pls confirm with BDO||Pls confirm with BDO||P4,500 but can be waived if you meet the spend requirement at least P600,000/year for Titanium Mastercard||2%||2.5% (Assessment fee of 1% plus service fee of 1.5%)|
Security Bank Platinum Mastercard
Security Bank Platinum Mastercard has a high entry requirement which is P780K Gross Annual Income but provides a lot of benefits to credit cardholders.
Here is a summary of the benefits of owning a Security Bank Platinum Mastercard.
Points/Miles Accrual: Earn 1 Point for every P20 spent (Points can be redeemed for miles)
Travel Insurance: Get coverage on accidents and more when you book your airline ticket with your Platinum Mastercard credit card.
Airport Lounge Access:
- Get 2 complimentary lounge access annually (for cardholders and guest combined) in more than 1,000 lounges in 500 airports worldwide via LoungeKey™
- Get unlimited access to the Marhaba Lounge NAIA Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 (formerly known as Skyview Lounge NAIA T3). Travel companion is subject to USD 20 fee per person per visit.
- Enjoy exclusive, automatic cashback offers from participating overseas merchants when you travel, shop, and pay with your Platinum Mastercard credit card.
- Annual fee waived for the first year
Bank of Commerce Platinum Mastercard
If you are looking for a credit card with a dual-currency feature and with no annual fee then this card is for you.
Here is a summary of the benefits of owning a Bank of Commerce Platinum Mastercard:
- Earn 1 Reward Point for every P25 Spend
- Points can be converted to air miles with participating frequent flyer program.
Travel Insurance: All Principal and Supplementary cardholders up to 70 years old are covered for up to Php 2 million in Travel Accident, Medical Expense, and Inconvenience Benefits every time you charge your entire fare for travel (airline tickets and other means of public transport) to your Bank of Commerce Platinum credit card when you travel abroad.
Airport Lounge Access: N/A
- Waived annual fee
Bank of Commerce World Mastercard
If you’re a high net worth individual then you might prefer having the Bank of Commerce World Mastercard instead of the Platinum Mastercard as it offers a wide array of benefits that cater to discerning individuals.
Here is a summary of the benefits of owning a Bank of Commerce World Mastercard:
- Earn 1 Reward Point for every P25 Spend
- Earn as much as 5x Rewards Points with select merchants
- Points can be converted to air miles with participating frequent flyer program
Travel Insurance: All Principal and Supplementary cardholders up to 70 years old are covered for up to Php 5 million in Travel Accident, Medical Expense, and Inconvenience Benefits every time you charge your entire fare for travel (airline tickets and other means of public transport) to your Bank of Commerce Platinum credit card when you travel abroad.
Airport Lounge Access: Membership with Loungekey with two (2) complimentary visits per cardholder. Succeeding visits shall be charged to the cardholder.
- Luxury Hotels and Resorts Privileges
- World Mastercard® Rewards & Experiences
- Mastercard® Concierge
Equicom Classic and Gold Credit Cards
Equicom is not a popular bank in the Philippines but it’s one of the few that offers a dual-currency credit card. They have two credit cards that offer dual currency features – Classic and Gold. Since both cards are almost similar in feature with the exception that Gold offers a higher credit limit, I have combined them in one sub-heading.
Here is a summary of the benefits of owning an Equicom Classic and Gold Credit Cards:
Points/Miles Accrual: Earn one (1) Key Point for every Php300.00 or its Dollar Equivalent
Travel Insurance and Airport Lounge Access: N/A
- Super Check Facility – Let’s you issue checks up to 100% of your Card’s available credit limit subject to 1.5% service fee for every check issuance.
PNB Platinum Mastercard
PNB Platinum Mastercard is like a hybrid of travel and shopping credit card. It does offer travel insurance and at the same time, points that can be converted to miles or cash credits.
Here is a summary of the benefits of owning a PNB Platinum Mastercard:
- You can redeem your points for Cash Credits anytime. P50 is equal to 1 point and 4 points are equal to P1.00 Cash Credit. Redemptions can be made in blocks of 500 points.
- You can also redeem your points for Mabuhay Miles, P50 is equal to 1 point or 1 Mabuhay Mile. A minimum block of 2,000 points is required for initial redemption. Succeeding redemptions can be made in blocks of 100 points.
Travel Insurance: Enjoy FREE travel insurance of up to P3M when you charge your fare to your PNB Platinum MasterCard
Airport Lounge Access: N/A
- Purchase Protection Insurance – Purchased items are covered against accidental damage and theft for 90 days from the date of purchase.
- Optional Fraud Transaction Insurance – For P10/month (or P120/year)
- Zero Percent Installment Plan on High-end Luxury Brands
BDO Titanium Mastercard
BDO Titanium card is one of the most well-rounded travel credit cards. Please do take note that with BDO Titanium Mastercard, enrollment is required to avail of the dual-currency feature. Enrollment can be done using SMS.
Here is a summary of the benefits of owning a BDO Titanium Mastercard:
- Earn two (2) Peso Points* for every P1,000 or USD20 qualified spend on your BDO Titanium Mastercard, where one (1) Peso Point is equal to P1.00. (Note: *Special offer valid until December 31, 2021.)
Travel Insurance: Free Travel Accident and Inconvenience Insurance up to P20M
Airport Lounge Access: Airport lounge access via LoungeKey network (Usage fee applies)
- Exclusive rates and packages at partner premier hotels and resorts
- Access to Mastercard Moments Concierge Service
Other BDO Credit Cards that has the Dual-currency Billing Option
I did not include the following on the table anymore since the dual-currency feature is an option similar to the BDO Titanium, however, I have included their respective links so you could check them for yourself in case you are interested to know more about the other BDO credit cards that offer dual-currency billing option.
- BDO Gold Mastercard
- BDO Platinum Mastercard
- BDO Visa Gold
- BDO Visa Platinum
- BDO Gold UnionPay
- BDO Diamond UnionPay
- Diners Club International
- Diners Club Premier
Which is the best dual-currency credit card for you?
Again, this will all depend on your need. If you often make US dollar transactions on your travels then I highly suggest that you go for the card that brings in the most value and in my opinion, that is the Security Bank Platinum Mastercard.
First, it gives you a free annual fee for the first year, making it a risk-free sign-up decision.
Second, you have unlimited access to Sky View Lounge (NAIA T3) plus 2 Loungkey access anywhere in the world. So that means, even if you’re just traveling locally either for business or for pleasure, you get to maximize the additional benefits of this card. And also, the annual fee is a bit lower than the Bank of Commerce World Mastercard.
Oh, and also, before you sign up with any credit card providers, be sure to check their websites again for the updated information, and don’t hesitate to ask them if in case you need further explanation regarding their terms and conditions.
Note: Updated January 27, 2022
How about you? Do you own any of these cards? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations in the comment section below.